reconfiguring a serial port -- please help

Hi all

I am trying to reconfigure my serial ports and am having no luck.  At
the moment, I have my mouse on /dev/ttyS0 and an internal modem on
/dev/ttyS1.

What I want to do is put my modem on /dev/ttyS2 IRQ7 so that I can use
the built in serial board (that I presume exists on my mother board) on
/dev/ttyS1 (irq 3) for other stuff.

First I changed the jumpers on my model to COM3 IRQ 7 (an unused IRQ)
and added the following line in /etc/rc.boot/0setserial

${SETSERIAL} -b /dev/ttyS2 irq 7 port 0x3E8 skip_test autoconfig
${STD_FLAGS}

and modifiyed my peers script for my dialup to look at ttyS2.  Nothing.
The modem did not so much as beep.

Next I tried to change the interupt back to 3 (the original for
/dev/ttyS1 just in case it was irq 7 that was the problem).  Nothing.

Finally, I tried to set the model to COM2 IRQ 7.  Still nothing!

It appears that the only setting that works is COM2 IRQ 3 :-(

My motherboard is an intel triton EXP8551, my modem is some clone (it
doesn't appear to have a brand name), and I'm using kernal 2.1.125.

Help would be vastly appreciated.

TIA

Richard