Re: reconfiguring a serial port -- please help

On Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 11:11:21PM -0500, Richard Black wrote:
[...]
> What I want to do is put my modem on /dev/ttyS2 IRQ7 so that I can use
> the built in serial board (that I presume exists on my mother board) on
> /dev/ttyS1 (irq 3) for other stuff.
>
> First I changed the jumpers on my model to COM3 IRQ 7 (an unused IRQ)
> and added the following line in /etc/rc.boot/0setserial
>
> ${SETSERIAL} -b /dev/ttyS2 irq 7 port 0x3E8 skip_test autoconfig
> ${STD_FLAGS}
>
> and modifiyed my peers script for my dialup to look at ttyS2.  Nothing.
> The modem did not so much as beep.
>
> Next I tried to change the interupt back to 3 (the original for
> /dev/ttyS1 just in case it was irq 7 that was the problem).  Nothing.
>
> Finally, I tried to set the model to COM2 IRQ 7.  Still nothing!
>
> It appears that the only setting that works is COM2 IRQ 3 :-(
>

> My motherboard is an intel triton EXP8551, my modem is some clone (it
> doesn't appear to have a brand name), and I'm using kernal 2.1.125.

I  don't know about your motherboard but I have some suggestions.

1) Do you changed jumpers when power was off (some hardware can't recognize
changes when power is on).

2) Try scanport from hwtools package and run it twice whith and whithout
the modem attached to the motherboard to indetify which port really you have
configured.

3) Check settings in BIOS of your motherboard, maybe you have configured
COM3 on the motherboard. Configure irq 7 as "legacy ISA card" and/or remove
it from PCI settings.

4) Check jumper - sometimes you don't have electrical connection beetwen
pins.

Mirek