Re: fetchmail, why does it do this?

> At 21:26 04.02.99 +0100, you wrote:
> >
> >> (I get some obscure errors, suddenly:
> >> skipping message 880 not flushed
> >> reading message 881 of 1261 (3233 bytes) .fetchmail: SMTP error: 501
> <@public.uni-hamburg.de> : colon expected after route
> >> fetchmail: SMTP error: 501 <ingo> : sender address must contain a domain
> >Someone put a domain-less address in the sender-field, and your
> >smtp software is rejecting it for that reason.  Not a fetchmail problem.
>
> But then, it shouldn't stop fetchmail from downloading the other mails on
> my server, should it?

Well, maybe fetchmail gives up completely at the first
broken message?

> >> fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from public.uni-hamburg.de
> >> )
> >>
> >> I found this:
> >> I have a local user named tester, and try to get his mail with fetchmail,
> >> this works only if I send to address: tester@localhost
> >> it does not work with: tester or tester@debian.virtual.de.host
> >
> >This is not a fetchmail problem, it is your smtp software. (exim/smail/
> >sendmail/...)  It is set up to allow mail to/from only some
> >domains, debian.virtual.de.host is apparently not one of them.
> >You may have to set it up so it appends a default domain
> >when you enter only a username too.
>
> But debian.virtual.de.host is my own system, and I am able to _MAIL_ to
> tester@debian.virtual.de.host, it appears in his spool file, only fetchmail
> won't get it back...

Configuration problems may have the strangest results. :-)
I don't know the details of your setup, but mailing to
tester@localhost (or just tester) shouldn't involve fetchmail
at all?  Such mail ought to be delivered locally - no need
to fetch from a remote pop server.  Or do you route even the local mail
via your ISP?
Similiarly - mail to tester@debian.virtual.de.host shouldn't need
to go outside either, as long as the domain debian.virtual.de.host
refer to your machine *only*.

Helge Hafting