Re: off topic - Assembler using GCC

> I don't need it, but just out of curiosity, is there a more low-level
> interface available? Or would one have to write a kernel module?
>
> I'm thinking, if you need to do non-standard things with the control lines
> (say for a dongle).
This sort of thing belongs in the drivers.  Setting control
lines is possible with the serial driver, I guess this is done
by ioctl() calls.

Those who need such things should take a look at documentation
(if any) or the source code for the driver in question.
If the ability to do what you want with the lines isn't there
then implement it as ioctls in the driver.  And when it works, post
a patch to the kernel list - other people may find it useful too.
Of course some of these drivers have maintainers, discussing
the issues with them first is a good idea.

Helge Hafting