Re: Networking Debian and Win 95

Peter Ludwig:
> I am trying to setup IPX networking on my main system at home, and I have
> run into a few major problems.

I'm running a TCP/IP network over Ethernet between Debian and a Win95 box.

> 1) While my network card is detected and setup by ifconfig, it's address
> is not being used as the address for network traffic (i.e. squake seems
> to like 127.0.0.1 and I can't force it to use another IP address).

127.0.0.1 is a magic address which means `localhost'. This is used by
programs which want to contact the machine they're running on.

If you run ifconfig without parameters, you should find you have two
network adapters: one `Local Loopback' with the address 127.0.0.1 and one
`Ethernet' with whatever address you gave it.

If I run route without parameters, it tells me that packets destined for
127.0.0.1 go to the `lo' interface, while packets for `localnet' go to the
eth0 interface. I assume yours should be similar.

> 2) The secondary machine (a compaq running win95A) is unable to find my
> computer on the network even though SAMBA is setup (and apparantly
> running, i.e. it reports no error messages), I am also unable to even get
> a glimpse (over the network that is) of the Win 95 Machine.

Can you ping it?

I assume you are using TCP/IP on the network. Is it installed on the Win95
machine? Is it set up as one of the protocols for file sharing?

> I have recompiled the kernal so many times (enabling different options
> which appear to be the correct ones), that I'm worried about the Hard
> disk surface in for the usr/src/linux tree :)

Fortunately, hard disk heads fly, so there shouldn't be any wear :-)

I've set up everything without recompiling the kernel, but it seems I will
have to do it after all to enable a Win95 bug workaround...

Jiri
--
<jiri@baum.com.au>
We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently