possible apt-get problem?

Having installed Debian successfully on a school computer, I decided to use
apt-get to upgrade the system.  Ran an update, then dist-upgrade (after
initial use of -s).  All went smoothly until the unpacking/setting up of
package "strace" where an "E: error returned by subprocess" message
appeared.  Things stopped.

I knew that not all packages had been installed.  Ran "apt-get check" and
was told to run "dpkg --configure -a"  which I did.  A number of packages
were then set up.  I retried "apt-get dist-upgrade" after first using -s
(confirming that fewer packages would be installed).  All pretty much
proceded normally.

Only issue noted was ldconfig warning me that certain libs (libomniORB, and
others) were not symlinks.

Does anyone know if I am reasonably safe?  What can I do to check things?

Kenward Vaughan

ps.  apt is wonderful!
kaynjay@igalaxy.net

C:\WINDOWS C:\WINDOWS\GO C:\PC\CRAWL