Networking Debian and Win 95

I am trying to setup IPX networking on my main system at home, and I have
run into a few major problems.

1) While my network card is detected and setup by ifconfig, it's address
is not being used as the address for network traffic (i.e. squake seems to
like 127.0.0.1 and I can't force it to use another IP address).

2) The secondary machine (a compaq running win95A) is unable to find my
computer on the network even though SAMBA is setup (and apparantly
running, i.e. it reports no error messages), I am also unable to even get
a glimpse (over the network that is) of the Win 95 Machine.  I have
recompiled the kernal so many times (enabling different options which
appear to be the correct ones), that I'm worried about the Hard disk
surface in for the usr/src/linux tree :)

3) squake is refusing to believe I have IPX, even though I am running
everything as specified in the IPX documentation (all docs relating to
ipx, man pages, howto's, etc).

I mainly wish to be able to run squake against my flatmate (who is running
the compaq), we can get a quake game going if I run any other OS, so the
network hardware is fine... <whine mode on> I just can't seem to setup the
network under linux <whine mode off>.

I have setup Internet access from the linux box <big grin> So I'm hoping I
can get things setup locally :)

Regards,
	Peter Ludwig