Which text editor is compatible with crxvt?

Hello, guys:

I would like to know which text editor is compatible with big-5 Chinese
text.  I have "xcin" and "crxvt" installed in my linux box.  Because my
favorite editor is vi, I tried to open a Chinese document with that in
crxvt terminal, but what I found is some thing like \056\378\053.....
It didn't turn these special characters into Chinese but just print
their code.  So if somebody can help me out on this, I will really
appreciate it.  Thanks in advance.

Yi-ping Chang