Re: dual boot?

At 03:14 PM 2/4/1999 -0600, Kelly Corbin wrote:
>Marko Loparic wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> >I am interest in Linux, but I don't decide yet if I choose it or not.
>> >So I'd like to install Linux and Windows NT 4.0 together.
>> >That means I want to make my computer dual bootable.
>>
>> If you are new to linux I suggest you install linux in a partition but
>> keep booting linux from a diskette and leave this dual boot issue with
>> lilo for later... You have nothing to change in the harddisk boot
>> information (no risk to do something wrong and crash NT boot...) and when
>> you want to boot linux you just have to insert the rescue diskette.
>>
>> Lilo is great but perhaps you are curious to see linux running first!...
>
>Check out the dual-boot HOW-TO.  I followed it exactly, and it works
>like a charm.  I have NT Server on my first partition and it runs
>without a hitch.  After modifying the file, hit the left shift when LILO
>comes up, and just type the name you specified in the LILO.conf file.
>Booting linux with a floppy just sucks too bad.
>
>Kelly

Kelly, if you want to get a bit fancier (and more user-friendly), check out
the docs on the lilo.conf file. You'll find you can put up a menu that
offers the user his choice of OSes and even picks one for him after a
certain time-out. Pretty cool. That's what I do on my home machine so the
Windows users don't have to do anything special to fire up their game machine.