Re: [Re: resc disk not recognized in install]

At 12:25 PM 2/4/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>Kent,
>
>Thanks for your responce.  First off, I do have multiple floppies.  So far the
>Rescue disk is the one that is giving me problems.
>
>Secondly, I am following the instructions with the low memory install (I only
>have 4 MB).  First, you partion the hd to create a swap partion, a linux one,
>and a root one.  Once the swap partion is activated, it asks for the rescue
>disk to copy the root file.  This works fine.  Then it boots up the linux
>installer.  A few steps later, it asks for the rescue disk again to install
>the kernel.  At this point, it won't recognize the rescue disk.
>
>Does that explain it better?  Any suggestions?
>SP

Yes, this helps. I've never done a low-memory install, so I'm probably not
the best person to be talking to, so I'm CCing this to the list.

The first thing that comes to mind is a bad floppy. Floppies are notorious
for failing during the install of Debian. Make sure you have a really good
quality floppy, and then if that fails, try another. I know of someone just
yesterday (or maybe the day before, I forget) who had to go through 4
floppies before he got one that worked.

Another possibility is that your Compaq laptop needs the Tecra set of
boot/root disks instead of the normal set. You might investigate the
documentation on running Linux on laptops (sorry I don't have the URL
handy), or just try the Tecra diskettes. (BTW, the laptop documentation
might have something specific to your Compaq laptop, so I'd investigate it
in any case.)

A third possibility is the low-mem issue; again, since I'm unfamiliar with
that, you might want to include the debian list in any responses to this
message.

Hope this helps scoot you along a bit farther.