Re: Debian goes big business? [was: Re: Suggestion for RedHat (was: RH vs Deb...

Christian Lavoie <clavoie@enter-net.com> writes:

> > If you want to go the corporate route, get Red Hat.  If not,
> > stick with Debian.  What's the problem?

> As far as I'm concerned, the problem is that I see that the Debian
> dist, a great one (if not the greatest) for technical and ethical
> reasons, cannot face the publicity and marketing power of commercial
> linuxes.

If that's the only problem, then why not simply

1. keep the Debian development structure as it is.

2. someone who cares about it forms a company that produces CDs from
   the official CD immages and markets them, shrink-wrapped and with
   lots of pomp, circumstance and generally commercial gestures.

3. if the company makes a profit, then congratulations to those who
   put money into it at the beginning. They might want to contribute
   some of it to the Debian project (c/o SPI).

4. if the company finds it will be good for marketing to have this
   or that gadget which is not currently packaged, they'd hire a
   programmer to package (and possibly develop) it - that programmer
   would register as a Debian developer and have his usual say in
   Debian matters.

Nothing of this needs any formal decision on behalf of the Debian
project itself. The free software nature of Debian has always
encouraged this sort of things. All it takes is for some people to
get together and raise enough initial capital for producing the
first round of CDs and lanuch the initial marketing boost.

How would that become easier by turning the entire development
structure upside down?

--
Henning Makholm
http://www.diku.dk/students/makholm