Re: Debian goes big business? [was: Re: Suggestion for RedHat (was: RH vs Deb...

> I guess I'm not getting the point of going coporate with Debian. As
far as
> this discussion has gone, the only benefit in forming a corporation
would be
> distribution/marketing.  I think it's pretty obvious to everyone that
Debian
> programmers tend to do more upgrading and enhancing than other dists.
> Further, the support seems to be far superior with Debian.  What is
the big
> problem with Debian distribution now?  Each dist. offers different
methods of
> doing the same thing - I kind of like the fact that there is a user
oriented
> organization.  If you want to go the corporate route, get Red Hat.  If
not,
> stick with Debian.  What's the problem?

As far as I'm concerned, the problem is that I see that the Debian
dist, a great one (if not the greatest) for technical and ethical
reasons, cannot face the publicity and marketing power of commercial
linuxes.

Because of that, it will lose 'market share' in front of commercial
linuxes, causing interest in Debian to slowly fade away. And that will
force it to become less and less developed, as compared to the others
dists, and I'll lose the dist I prefer.

But as the discussion evolves, I'm more and more thinking that going
for-profit dist will simply kill the essential spirit of Debian.

Christian Lavoie