Re: start svgalib progs from X

Brandon Mitchell wrote:
> It works as root.  But I need a bit more than chvt, and I know I've seen a
> program/script that does it about a year or more ago.  The "more" that I
> need is the ability to do this as a user, run a specified program, and
> switch back to X when the program is done.  I was hoping it would be a
> debian package, but can make do if it isn't.

Open will do it. Use "open -s -w program", it will switch to a VT, run the
program, wait for it to finish, and switch back.

This only works with the hacked debian version of open, mind you, though I
can provide patches for other systems. The other caveat is that you probably
need to make sure that you own the next free vc after the one X is running
on. Ie, if X runs on vc 8, you need to chown /dev/tty9.

--
see shy jo