Re: start svgalib progs from X

On Sun, Jan 17, 1999 at 05:54:41PM -0500, Brandon Mitchell wrote:
> > There is a little program called switchvt... I hardly remember, but I think
> > it was just a single C file.
>
> That's about all I remember, too.  (Although I was trying runvt, loadvt,
> launchvt.)  Anyone have ideas on where it's located/hiding, switchvt
> didn't show up in any packages.
>
> TIA,
> Brandon

I know that there's "chvt."  But that doesn't work from within an xterm:

21:50 $ tty
/dev/ttyp0
21:50 $ chvt 1
chvt: VT_ACTIVATE: Operation not permitted

I think this might be related to a message in another thread a couple
of days ago about setting the num lock to default on in X and getting
some weird error about "stdin is not a VT."  How would one pass a
command to tty7 from ttyp0?  Or is this the wrong track?

Rob

--
"Consider a spherical bear, in simple harmonic motion..."
		-- Professor in the UCB physics department