Re: AMD K6-2 / Bogomips problem

pat@patoche.org wrote:

> besides the fact it seems outdated (1997-12-13), it says like me:
>   AMD K5/K6              clock * (2.00  plusminus 0.010)   11.1
>
> and it lists K6 at 166Mhz having already ~330Bogomips !
>
> so my AMD K6-2 at 350Mhz should have 700Bogomips isn't it ?
>
> so next part of my question:
> what should i check ? bios settings ?
> (the howto is not precise enough imho)

I think I would be concerned too. I have an AMD K6-2 3D 350 MHz
processor, overclocked to 400MHz and I get the following from cat
/proc/cpuinfo:

processor       : 0
cpu             : 586
model           : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
stepping        : A
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid           : yes
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 syscr mmx 3dnow
bogomips        : 801.18

Sorry if I state the obvious, but you are running at 3.5 x 100 MHz? You
do have 100 MHz memory?

I have found in the past on a couple of occasions I have had ludicrously
low bogomips figures and have re-compiled the kernel (not even changing
the settings!) and the rate has gone up the next time i have re-booted.
Only ever happened with a RedHat system - don't know why.

What kernel are you using? There are a couple of AMD K6-2 patches
around.

--
Phillip Deackes
gsmh@gmx.net