Re: DPKG

> >   >I was wondering... (And this probably already has been mentioned
but
> >   >anyway), why wouldn't DPKG/APT/DSELECT use a real database server
like
> >   >mySQL/mSQL/PostgreSQL/... to keep it's own database?
> >
> > Because a database has to be set up, as well as taking a significant
> > amount of space that simply isn't available on the installation
floppies.

> > dselect/apt has to work as soon as the base system is installed.  If
you
> > introduce a complex product like a RDBMS, there's just too much extra
> > that can go wrong.

> Good point. Another one is that many low-end machines don't have
> the horsepower or disk space to run dpkg/apt with an
> sql server. We need to keep Debian as lean & mean as possible.

Actually, not all of dselect's methods work right out of the floppies.
Neither does most of Debian's 1500 packages. But I think that to
ALLOW, and not FORCE, dpkg to access a database server could be of
use. Think of it on large networks where the admin must sync a few key
packages, or in places where identical machines are a necessary, or
highly appreciated thing.

My point is that it actually can be quite useful to do, yours is that
it's quite stupid to FORCE things that way. The hell with it, I'm
fully agreeing with ya. ;) Does anyone really uses weekly all of
dselect's methods? Why then would one use maultiple packages
databases? I think were arguing on a 'one fits all' vs a specialized
solution.

Anyway, once you've got a database server installed, I think it should
be a great thing to use, since anyway, next re-install is in a few
decades. ;P

Christian Lavoie