Re: Alien package converter for Debian (fwd)

> I know that you can use alien to convert rpm files to deb files.  Are there
> any disadvantages to downloading the rpm files and installing all software
> this way for Debian or is it better to download the deb file for the
> program.

If you have a choice between a deb file and a rpm, always install the deb
file. Debian packages comply with debian policy, have been tuned to mesh
with the other software on a debian system, etc. Also, note this warning
from the alien documentation:

  Warning, alien can be dangerous:

    Despite the high version number, alien is still (and will probably
    always be) rather experimental software. It's been under development for
    over a year now, but there are still many bugs and limitations.

    Alien should not be used to replace important system packages, like
    sysvinit, libc, or other things that are essential for the functioning
    of your system. Many of these packages are set up differently by the
    different distributions, and packages from the different distributions
    cannot be used interchangeably. In general, if you can't uninstall the
    package without breaking your system, don't try to replace it with an
    alien version.

--
see shy jo, alien maintainer