RE: Alien package converter for Debian (fwd)

The main advantage to using Debian made packages is that a Debian develpoer
made them and you can be sure they follow Debian policy and standards.
Installing a new version of a package from an rpm may wipe out a conf file or
change the directory it looks for data.

In general a Debian package is available rather quickly after a package is
released.  If you find this not to be the case, contact the Debian maintainer
and ask him/her about it.