still fighting for normality

I've been trying to get a dos partition mounted in group 'dos', with
read-write permissions for those in this group.  I found an old thread on
this, and now have:

/dev/hda1 /mnt vfat unmask=0002,gid=101,uid=0,showexec  0 2

in fstab, (where 101 is dos gid).  However, the drive mounts with
permissions:

drwxr_xr_x

I tried adding suid to the options (the unmounted permissions of /mnt are
rwx for group), but this doesn't work, and I can't even chmod the
permissions as root.  If I type

	chmod --verbose g+w /mnt
it claims to have changed the permissions, but doesn't actually.  Can
anyone please help me.

Thanks in advance
Rich