How to setup Xwindows with xkb and locales?

Hi All!

I'm looking for a proper way of installing the Xwindows to support the
Polish locales. Well, I have configured my system in this way that I can
get Polish characters in my windows but it is done in a very "dirty" way
(the xkb switched off, NLS set to C, the keyboard sends Polish characters
as their English equivalents e.g. "aogonek" as "plusminus", "eogonek" as
"ecircumflex" and so on - just used the Xmodmap.plpr).
I dislike this solution, but it works.
When I tried to setup a more "official" configuration I faced a lot of
problems. First the pl locales in X11R6 are broken, and I had to edit
the /usr/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/pl manually to get the "zacute" and
"Zacute" working. But even after that, and after seting the LANG variable
to pl_PL before the starting of X, the majority of programs did not accept
the polish characters, even though the "xev" said that this characters are
being sent correctly :-(.
What is going on?
Does someone got the Xwindows working correctly with xkb and ISO-8859-2?
Where can I find the information about seting up the NLS (particularly for
Xwindows)?

					Thanks in advance
					Wojtek Zabolotny
					wzab@ipe.pw.edu.pl