Re: RH vs Debian (Switch to Red Hat ?)

> I used RedHat through version 5.1 before switching to Debian.  Here are a few
> of the reason I stuck with Debian and continue to do so.
>
> 	- More packages distributed with the base system.
> 	- I believe the dpkg package management is much better than RedHat
> 	  (especially for developing packages on a production system)
> 	- Debian strictly adheres to a well defined set of rules for
> 	  filesystem layout in relation where packages keep configuration
> 	  files, libraries and executables... etc...
> 	- Debian always seems to have less errata and corrections per
> 	  distribution, Redhat has gotten much better in this area
> 	- I much prefer the Debian way of configuring packages usually at
> 	  package install time via the scripts built into the package.  Debian
> 	  makes it easier for the seasoned Linux user to configure the system
> 	  using non-gui based methods, which is a plus for me as I manage some
> 	  systems remotely.  Linux conf is supposed to handle this sort of
> 	  thing but I am not to pleased it.
>
>     I have yet to figure out what Redhat offers me that Debian does not.

There is the difficulty that Debian is an organization that is based on
volunteers, where RH is a registered company. So managements tend to see RH as
much more solid and stable organization then Debian. And that imply, when
extending this managements point of view, that RH products are better then
Debian.