Re: Kernel Compile

Pann McCuaig Writes..

> Make sure the following packages from _hamm_ are correctly installed:
>
> bin86
> binutils
> gcc
> libc6-dev
> ncurses3.4-dev
> make
> patch
> kernel-package
> kernel-source-2.0.34

I will try this. However, perhaps you could enlighten me to what packages
*MUST* be installed for *OLD* source code to be compiled.

I have lots of source code which compiled just great under 1.3.1 - but lots
(not all) of it fails to compile under 2.0.

What sort of things will be making code fail, what things do I need to add.
Do I need to 'make' some source under under LIBC5 perhaps, and not LIBC6.
If so, How do I do this.

I feared that 2.0 would break my system, but was assured by many on here it
wouldn't. I was right, I am at the point now where the once loved fine tuned
excellent Debian OS I used to have, is now about as much use/fun as a WIN9x
box :(

I wish I had just stuck with 1.3.1, it was way kewl and everything worked
like magic. 2.0 sucks like hell... in fact it sucks more than Redhat and
slackware at the moment too :-))))

Thanks for the help and advice, never before in 7 years of Linux have I
had so many problems I cannot sort. Even as a novice all those years ago,
the level of frustration was nothing compared to now.

Cheerio

--
Nidge Jones