Re: Adding NEW Apache Modules: Completely confused.

"Lyndon" == Lyndon Fletcher <lyndon.fletcher@uab.ericsson.se> writes:

Lyndon> file. They also don't seem to have documented this process. So
Lyndon> you see I have the Apache way, which is documented, and the
Lyndon> Debian way, which isn't.

The Debian way is now the Apache way, documented in the 1.3.x Manuals
(the apache-doc package).  We've used runtime loadable modules since
before it was officially supported, and apxs written.

Lyndon> I have a few questions.

Lyndon> 1) Is it possible to just run configure and make a standard
Lyndon> Linux binary of Apache 1.3.3 the way Apache.org does it? Will
Lyndon> it work? Will the various config files be compatable? If not
Lyndon> what would I need to change to make this new binary work.

Technically yes -- but its a great hassle, as configure doesnt have a
predefined setup that exactly matches what Debian needs, which is
this:

    ./configure --enable-shared=max --enable-rule=SHARED_CHAIN \
       --enable-suexec --enable-module=status \
       --suexec-caller=www-data --enable-module=most \
       --enable-module=log_referer --enable-module=log_agent \
       --enable-module=auth_db --enable-module=auth_dbm \
       --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib/apache/1.3 \
       --sysconfdir=/etc/apache
       --localstatedir=/var/state/apache \
       --runtimedir=/var/run --logfiledir=/var/log/apache \
       --proxycachedir=/var/cache/apache --target=apache \
       --includedir=/usr/include/apache-1.3 \
       --datadir=/var/www --without-confadjust

An easier solution is to get the Debian source package and add your
module to that, instead of to the tarball from Apache.   :-)

Lyndon> 2) What is involved in adding this new module to the Dynamic
Lyndon> module loading scheme used by Debian? Are there special
Lyndon> libraries needed? What else will I need to have, what compile
Lyndon> flags should I use and which config files are effected?

Ah, this is the easiest solution: just install apache-dev and do this:

     apxs -c your_module.c

Which will produce the .so file needed.  To activate it, add a
LoadModule line in httpd.conf that refers to the file.

---------------------  PGP  E4 70 6E 59 80 6A F5 78  63 32 BC FB 7A 08 53 4C

   __ _    Debian GNU         Johnie Ingram <johnie@netgod.net>      mm   mm
  / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __        "netgod"     irc.debian.org          mm mm
/ /__| | | | | |_| |>  <      Yes, I'm Linus, and I am your God.     mm   mm
\____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\       -- Linus, keynote address, Expo 98   GO BLUE