Re: Kernel Compile

On Fri, Jan 15, 1999 at 07:59:15PM +0000, Nidge Jones wrote:

> Pann McCuaig Writes..
>
> > Make sure the following packages from _hamm_ are correctly installed:
> >
> > bin86
> > binutils
> > gcc
> > libc6-dev
> > ncurses3.4-dev
> > make
> > patch
> > kernel-package
> > kernel-source-2.0.34
>
> I will try this. However, perhaps you could enlighten me to what packages
> *MUST* be installed for *OLD* source code to be compiled.
>
> I have lots of source code which compiled just great under 1.3.1 - but lots
> (not all) of it fails to compile under 2.0.

The problem (probably) is that libc6 and libc5 must co-exist on your
upgraded system. There should be a libc6-upgrade howto somewhere that
details this. Let's see, it's at

http://www.debian.org/2.0/autoup/HOWTO/libc5-libc6-Mini-HOWTO.html

This document tells you how to do a manual bo-->hamm upgrade, but it
will discuss all the possibilities for the problems you're having.

The packages I've listed above are required to compile (using make-kpkg
and make menuconfig) a 2.0.34 kernel on a libc6 system.

All the libc5-related *-dev packages should have been removed from your
system during the upgrade, and will have to be re-installed from the
oldlibs directory for your libc5 development environment to work as
before.

On this system, for example, I have the following:

ii  libc5           5.4.38-1.1     The Linux C library version 5 (run-time libr
ii  libc5-altdev    5.4.38-1.1     The Linux C library version 5 (alternative d
ii  libc6           2.0.7u-7.1     The GNU C library version 2 (run-time files)
ii  libc6-dev       2.0.7u-7.1     The GNU C library version 2 (development fil

> I feared that 2.0 would break my system, but was assured by many on here it
> wouldn't. I was right, I am at the point now where the once loved fine tuned
> excellent Debian OS I used to have, is now about as much use/fun as a WIN9x
> box :(
>
> I wish I had just stuck with 1.3.1, it was way kewl and everything worked
> like magic. 2.0 sucks like hell... in fact it sucks more than Redhat and
> slackware at the moment too :-))))
>
> Thanks for the help and advice, never before in 7 years of Linux have I
> had so many problems I cannot sort. Even as a novice all those years ago,
> the level of frustration was nothing compared to now.

Sorry to hear you're going through this. The libc5-->libc6 upgrade is
the most perilous we've gone through since a.out to ELF.

Now if you'd had redhat you'd have had to wipe your hard disk and start
over to upgrade. It may be cold comfort, but if you'd done that with
Debian 2.0 you wouldn't have run into this situation.

The upside is, you _can_ recover from your current and will have a
stable libc6 debian installation without throwing anything away.

Just keep on truckin'.

Luck,
--
your man pann