Re: DPKG

> Christian Lavoie wrote:
>   >I was wondering... (And this probably already has been mentioned
but
>   >anyway), why wouldn't DPKG/APT/DSELECT use a real database server
like
>   >mySQL/mSQL/PostgreSQL/... to keep it's own database?

> Because a database has to be set up, as well as taking a significant
> amount of space that simply isn't available on the installation
floppies.

As an option on the CD/downloadable dists?

> dselect/apt has to work as soon as the base system is installed.  If
you
> introduce a complex product like a RDBMS, there's just too much extra
> that can go wrong.

I don't think we should REPLACE the whole thing with a database driven
solution. Let's keep it like dselect's methods. Just a highly complex
method, made to work on largely distributed networks or other things
like that, or where a server already is in place.

To plug my other posts, we could even sell access to such a database
server on the internet, and use that to feed the starving FSF's bank
account.

My point is that on full-grown systems where installation is months or
years ago (and next installation is in decades), such speed
improvements could be quite a good thing.