Re: DPKG

Christian Lavoie wrote:
  >I was wondering... (And this probably already has been mentioned but
  >anyway), why wouldn't DPKG/APT/DSELECT use a real database server like
  >mySQL/mSQL/PostgreSQL/... to keep it's own database?

Because a database has to be set up, as well as taking a significant
amount of space that simply isn't available on the installation floppies.

dselect/apt has to work as soon as the base system is installed.  If you
introduce a complex product like a RDBMS, there's just too much extra
that can go wrong.

     "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall
      stand at the latter day upon the earth"
                                       Job 19:25