Re: How to mail a file?

Hi again,

The below responses to my initial question just left me with a few doubts:

-  Both commands, mail and mailx, seem to work pretty much the same way, are
there any differences?  and, will they send the files to the mailing queu
(sp?)?

- How would I gzip and/or tar the file?  Would this process take place
before encoding?  (OTH tar'ing would be a way of sending several files at
once).

- And digital signing and/or encrypting?

(the above two questions refer to "doing it all in one go", ie. just one line
of commands)

- should graphics files be treated as binaries, as far as
uuencoding/mimencoding is concerned?

- and finally, will the mpack command take care of queing the file for
mailing or is there a need to add a "| mail/mailx" command to the end of the
line?

Thanks a lot.

-------------

I believe there's a command for e-mailing a file without having to use an
MTU, but directly from the command line.  mailx, smail,... any ideas?

Horacio
--------

For text files:
  mail -s 'your subject' recipient < file.txt

For binary files:
  uuencode file.bin file.bin | mail -s 'your subject' recipient

HTH,
 -Remco
---------

This is the old unix way.  If you want everyone (including windows
users) to be able to decode the mail, you should use mime.  This can be
done with mpack:

mpack -s <subj> -d <description_file> <file> <address>

See man mpack, it comes in the mpack .deb package.  My question: is
there a way to send more than one file in a mail this way?

HTH,
Eric
----

> there a way to send more than one file in a mail this way?
what about mutt?

mutt -a <file1> -a <file2> -a <file3> -s <subject> <recipient> < /dev/null

works fine :-)

Ciao, Hanno
--

If you want to send a textfile:

$ mailx -s "Subjecttext" your@email.address < FILENAME

If you want to send binary data you must convert it to text with uuencode
(or mmencode):

$ uuencode FILENAME < FILENAME | mailx -s "Subjecttext" your@email.address

greetings Carsten

--