Adding NEW Apache Modules: Completely confused.

Hi,
    I have a non standard Apache Module that I need to add to a server
on a Debian system. I have the current 1.3.1 Apache on the server at the
moment but would like to upgrade to 1.3.3 + this new module.

According to Apache I modify some config files and recompile the server
after running the configure utility. Debian, for some reason I can't
hope to guess, decided to do it differently with dynamically loaded
modules and a SRM.CONF file. They also don't seem to have documented
this process. So you see I have the Apache way, which is documented, and
the Debian way, which isn't.

I have a few questions.

1) Is it possible to just run configure and make a standard Linux binary
of Apache 1.3.3 the way Apache.org does it? Will it work? Will the
various config files be compatable? If not what would I need to change
to make this new binary work.

2) What is involved in adding this new module to the Dynamic module
else will I need to have, what compile flags should I use and which
config files are effected?

 Thanks for your help.

Fletch