Re: SQLs Servers in Debian

On Wed, Jan 13, 1999 at 02:52:49PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 1999 at 04:27:30PM -0400, Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira wrote:
> >         I have some questions:
> >         1) Is there any frontend gui to postgres in Debian Hamm or Slink
> > or Pota
> > to?
> >         2) Is there any frontend gui to mysql in Debian Hamm or Slink or
> > Potato?
>
> Does it make much sense to have a generic gui frontend to an SQL db?
> Usually you would want something specific to your database/application.

Ah, here's a difference between the Pee-Cee world and the *nix world
where there's something to be said for the "other place."

It's really handy to be able to take a quick look at a database to see
what the structure is like, how many tables, how many records, etc.,
etc.

You can certainly do that with SQL (I do it regularly), but I do find
myself remembering fondly how much easier it was to do in Paradox for
DOS.

Note that I'm not talking about an application-specific front end,
that's an entirely different kettle of fish.
--
your man pann