Re: package upgrading issue

Deepak Nulu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had the same problem. I wanted to get a package
> from the FTP site that was not on my CD and did not
> know how to make dselect load just the package I
> was interested in. I tried to unselect everything

This I believe is not possible. You should use the dpkg command line:

dpkg -i package.deb

> from the topmost section, but it did not work. I
> read in one of the help files that any operation
> on a section title would effect all packages in the
> section, but that did not happen. I read that

This works for me. I have all my packages on hold. I can then select
which packages to update or to newly install.

> dpkg-ftp was used by dselect but I could not invoke
> this from the shell. Attempts to put packages on

dpkg-ftp I thought only added the FTP choice in the access methods of
dselect. There is no command dpkg-ftp.

> hold (my understanding was this would prevent it
> from upgrading) was not easy and I kept getting
> into dependencies and conflicts. I eventually gave
> up and let dselect use its defaults and upgrade
> all the packages.

When getting dependancy errors, I use shift-q to get out of that screen
after putting all the packages on hold.

1. Use section header to put packages on hold.
2. Dependancy screen pops up.
3. Put those packes on hold.
4. Type shift-q to get back to main screen.
5. Type shift-q to leave the select screen.

Hope any of this is helpfull.
Paul