Re: uninstalling smail when a self compiled MTA is present

>> "HM" == Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> writes:

HM> Marc.Haber-lists@gmx.de (Marc Haber) writes:
>> On Mon, 4 Jan 1999 16:03:47 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>> >			 apt-get install exim

>> No, you didn't. You used the debian package; I am trying to get rid of
>> smail because I have a self-built exim.

HM> Then how about installing the package maintainer scripts and wrap
HM> your self-built exim up as a debian package? You should be able to
HM> get the necessary debianizing magic from the package source for
HM> the debian exim.

As you and other users may be interested, I make a plug for the new
equivs package:

$ cat mail-transport.ctl
Package: smail
Provides: mail-transport-agent
 Smail package which just provides mail-transport-agent and
 doesnot conflict with mail-transport-agent.
 .
 Deinstall after installing a fake MTA package.

$ make-equivs mail-transport.ctl
[...]

This will create a dummy smail_1.0_all.deb Package, which you
install. Thous smail doesn't conflict with mail-transport-agent any
more. Beware, you don't have a working MTA from this point on.

$ cat exim-local.ctl
Package: exim-local
Section: mail
 Local exim package to fulfil package dependencies.
 Provides mail-transport-agent.

$ make-equivs exim-local.ctl

Install this exim-local package and deinstall the dummy smail one (or
apt will try to update it). Then activate your local MTA, and you are
done.

Ciao,
	Martin

--
from a 1996 Microshit ad campaign:
"The less you know about computers the more you want Micro$oft!"