Re: uninstalling smail when a self compiled MTA is present

Marc Haber said:

>> So I seem to be in a circular situation: I can't install equiv package
>> just made because I have smail installed. I can't uninstall smail
>> because I have numerous packages that require mail-transport-agent.
>>
>> How do I get out of this circle?

I did exactly this yesterday (replacing smail with exim).

			 apt-get install exim

was smart enough to first remove smail and subsequently install
exim. It worked without a hitch (all I had to do was remove some files
by hand in /var/spool/ and /var/log/).

It was very impressive,

Jim