Re: bootlog on debian 2.0 missing in /var/log/messages

> >Where is it on the 2.0 version. the /var/log/messages is very abbreviated
> >the /var/log/syslog is also very abbreviated
>
> ditto.
[...]
> I suspect that a line must now be missing from some /etc/init.d/* file, eg,
>     klogd -o -f /var/log/messages
> However, such a line would need to be early in the boot: after /etc/rcS.d/*
> files run but before most every other boot file since a permanent klogd
> daemon runs in the file
>    /etc/rc2.d/S10sysklogd
>
> I could insert a "klogd -o" command in one of the boot files,
> if that is what was used before, but I hate to do what should already
> be done somehow.
> Any ideas?  For example, does your
>    grep klogd /etc/init.d/*
> reveal a "klogd" with the "-o" option?

I have two Debian installations.  One of them is upgraded from 1.3 to 2.0.  On
this system the /var/log/messages contains the boot messages.  On the other
system, I installed a brand new Debain 2.0 distribution (no upgrade).  On this
system, I only see the minimal mark messages, but _no_ boot messages.

Next thing I did is to compare the files in the init.d directory of both
systems.  Apart from the network numbers, the files were identical.  So I am
afraid the problem is more subtle (and I still don't have any clue).

Bye,

-- Benno