cdrom

    Hi,  I've been hard at work getting nothing done as usual.  I have
three things I'm trying to accomplish but lets start with #1 and see if
I can't get this to work.  I've been trying to figure out how to use my
cdrom.  I have been reading the cdrom HOWTO.  This is what I've done so
far:

crossyourfingers:/home/kent# ln -s /dev/hdd /dev/cdrom
crossyourfingers:/home/kent# chmod 664 /dev/hdd
crossyourfingers:/home/kent# ls -l /dev/hdd
brw-rw-r--   1 root     disk      22,  64 Jul 20 19:45 /dev/hdd

I can use the commands "cdplay" and "cdeject" just fine as a regular
user.  I can listen to a music cd through my headphones.

I have an "extras" cd with my debian package and I would like to look at
what it contains.  I put the cd in, used the command "mount /mnt/cdrom"
and got a message back that said there wasn't anything in the
"/etc/fstab" file (there was another file listed but I forget what it
was) so I followed the directions in the HOWTO.  I put the following
line in the file, "/dev/hdd  /mnt/cdrom   iso9660     user,noauto,ro"
Tried again and got the error "mount: mount point /mnt/cdrom does not
exist"  Went back into the file and removed the following line
"/dev/hdd  /cdrom   iso9660    noauto,nouser,ro 0 0"  Tried to mount
again same error "mount: mount point /mnt/cdrom does not exist"

So that is what I have done.  What I would like to do is be able to
listen to music cd's through my speakers.  I put a cd in I start it, I
verify it is working through my headphones, I take the headphone jack
out and no sound.  When I type an error (like try to backspace when
there is no more space to travel) I get a beep that comes through my
speakers.  I don't understand much about sound cards.  I don't have one
in a slot.  I looked in windows and came up with "Crystal PnP Audio
System" maybe that is my sound card.  It seems to me if Linux can use my
speakers in one instance but not another there is a linkage problem?

I would also like to view what is on a particular cd without having to
install what is on that cd.
thanks,
Kent