Rescue disk fails for initial installation

I have an old IBM PC that I'm trying to install from diskettes (no CD
drive).  When I boot the rescue disk (most recent on the web) and hit
enter, I get the following message:

The boot process then hangs with the diskette light on solid, does not
repond to c-t-a.  I've tried commands like Linux hd=...
but that doesn't change anything since it's failing on the initail load.

Is there some way to track the events of the load process to see where
it is hanging.

I've played around with several BIOS setting, changed hdisks, but no
luck.  The same rescue disk works on a new PC (not the one I want to
convert to Linux.).

-bucky pope