Re: 512 Node Cluster Germany

> Hello,
>
> Anyone got some details about the 512 node Debian CLOWN cluster in
> English?  I've seen it in the Debian news section for a couple weeks,
> but all of the hyperlinks are in German (at least the ones I followed),
> and was hoping there would be an english translation or summary.

Hmmm - sorry - Yep - i did the Mini-Distribution - Boot Disks and
the rest based on Debian.

BTW: The (poor documented) boot disk + mini distribution etc can be
found on ftp://move.mediaways.net/pub/cluster
mostly under testing ...

> I'd like to know what kind of performance a 512 node Debian CLOWN
> cluster achieves.  (flops, mips, how quicky the equatsions were solved,
> ..)

You cant measure the performance like this as all Benchmarks like
linpack are designed for homogenous clusters where every node
has the same performance. Also they do NOT include fail
recognition of nodes.

We made a linpack on a 50 Node Alpha Subcluster which has been  reproduced
in the iX (Magazin for IT in Germany) laboratorium and they archived
31.3 GFlops as far as i remember. This has been done with LinPack.

> Also, this is pretty big cluster, so I'd be interested to know just
> where this sits in the record book relative to other clusters.

We have no clue - The TV Station here in Germany which did a TV
Show in whose program this was shown cared on the Guiness Book of Records -
AFAIK the Guiness people meet again in March and maybe we know more then.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-5241-470566
Good, Fast, Cheap: Pick any two (you can't have all three).  (RFC 1925)