Re: serial mouse problem

On Fri, 1 Jan 1999, Kent West wrote:
> > in X, and when I returned this morning, the mouse was dead.  So, I killed
> > the Xserver, restarted it.  Nothing.  Rebooted in Win95, which didn't pick
> > up the mouse either.  When I rebooted into Linux, gpm started as normal,
>
> You might try switching your mouse to the other serial port and see if
> Win95 finds it, but when I've seen this behavior before, it was a dead
> mouse, so you may have to replace it.

Well, I have a modem on ttyS1, which still works fine.  The mouse I
brought to work, and it worked on another PC.  I tried a different mouse
on my hamm box, which didn't work either, which points to a  serial port
problem.

> Also, if your CMOS battery is weak/dead, your BIOS may have reverted to
> turning off your serial port, although that doesn't really make sense
> since the box was powered up when the mouse died. But maybe some glitch
> turned off the port in CMOS, so I'd at least check it out.

i've looked in the BIOS setup, and everything /appears/ to be ok, and when
the kernel boots up it gives me the usual message about the serail ports.

thanks for the help.

regards,
vinny

--