Re: Recommendations for Email client?

On Tue, Dec 01, 1998 at 13:52 -0500, Mitch Blevins wrote:
> Jon Burchmore wrote:
[stuff deleted]
> > 1.  IMAP support
> > 2.  PGP integration
> > 3.  X (preferably gtk) based UI
> > 4.  The ability to support multiple mail servers/accounts.
>
> I would like to suggest that you split the retrieval/sorting/filtering
> duties from the Email client (MUA).
> You can use fetchmail to download all your email from multiple accounts.
> Then you use smail/procmail or exim to sort and deliver it locally.
> Then, all your MUA has to do is be able to read from different folders.
>
> And if you must have an X-based MUA, then I would suggest mutt...
> (in an xterm) ;)

I agree with Mitch - the smail/procmail/mutt combo is probably the best
option (configurable to an utterly ridiulous degree). By making X a
prerequisite you are limiting your options very much (and inviting
trouble). It was only a couple of weeks ago when somebody posted a message
saying that they had mutt sorting a mailfolder with 20k+ messages without
any problem (if memory serves me correctly).

Cheers
	Dave (ex-Pine user, now addicted to mutt)

--
Dave Swegen <dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk>
.plan: To find a job working with Linux