Re: Recommendations for Email client?

Dave Swegen <dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk> writes:
| On Tue, Dec 01, 1998 at 13:52 -0500, Mitch Blevins wrote:
| > Jon Burchmore wrote:
| [stuff deleted]
| > > 1.  IMAP support
| > > 2.  PGP integration
| > > 3.  X (preferably gtk) based UI
| > > 4.  The ability to support multiple mail servers/accounts.
| >
| > I would like to suggest that you split the retrieval/sorting/filtering
| > duties from the Email client (MUA).
| > You can use fetchmail to download all your email from multiple accounts.
| > Then you use smail/procmail or exim to sort and deliver it locally.
| > Then, all your MUA has to do is be able to read from different folders.
| >
| > And if you must have an X-based MUA, then I would suggest mutt...
| > (in an xterm) ;)
|
| I agree with Mitch - the smail/procmail/mutt combo is probably the best
| option (configurable to an utterly ridiulous degree). By making X a
| prerequisite you are limiting your options very much (and inviting
| trouble). It was only a couple of weeks ago when somebody posted a message
| saying that they had mutt sorting a mailfolder with 20k+ messages without
| any problem (if memory serves me correctly).

I don't want to get pegged as an X/Emacs fanatic (which I am), but gnus,
in conjunction with fetchmail (and maybe even without it) can do all
the aforementioned operations.

Like mutt (at least according to what I've read, no direct experience
with mutt) it can be a holy nightmare to configure if you want to use
the more sophisticated capabilities. Plus it has the added handicap of
using a lot of Lisp for configuration purposes, at least that's a
handicap if you don't know Lisp.

But it's also a godsend to have a nice consistent interface between
Mail and News, at least IMHO.

Gary