Re: First-time Linux setup - questions

Jerry E. McGoveran wrote:

> At 08:06 PM 11/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >Jerry E. McGoveran wrote:

> packaged
> >>
> >> Tried to find xserver-common with dselect and with apt-get, but was unable
> >> to locate it.  Loaded instead xserver-vga16.  Afterwards ran XF86Setup and
> >> got this:
> >>
> >> maui:/usr/X11R6/bin# export
> PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
> >> maui:/usr/X11R6/bin# which XF86Setup
> >> /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86Setup
> >> maui:/usr/X11R6/bin# XF86Setup
> >> Couldn't read card database file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Cards
> >>
> >> What now?
> >>

> >       If you can't find xserver-common, then maybe we're not on the same
> >page.  Are updating from slink?  Could you have perhaps mixed old and
> >new X11 packages together?
>
> I'm just using whatever default setup that comes with Deb2.0.  Is there
> a specific ftp path that I should add to the dselect setup?
>
> I confess, I have no idea what slink or hamm refer to.
>
> -Jerry

	Ok, you are using the old 'hamm' (codename for Debian v2.0).  Its been
a long time since upgraded to slink (codename for Debian v2.1).  I don't
ever remember having this problem, sorry.  I thought you were using
slink, and had run into an X11 problem recently introduced into the X11
packages in slink.
	Does the 'Cards' file actually exist?  Its probably from the old
'xbase' package.  The only thing I can suggest is the brute force
approach; purging all X11 packages and reinstalling them.  Maybe just
reinstalling xbase will help, assuming it does hold the Cards file?  You
probably won't need to delete and
reinstall the font packages, but do so with the others.  Its all I know
to say.

--
Ed C.