Re: First-time Linux setup - questions

At 10:29 PM 11/9/98 -0500, Immanuel Yap wrote:
>On Sun Nov  8, 1998, Jerry E. McGoveran wrote:
>> Someone pointed out correctly that I had to run ldconfig.  What I figured
>> out for myself was that I had to add /usr/openwin/lib to the conf file
>> first.
>>
>> However, now I have a new problem:
>>
>> 	olvwm: cannot connect to (NULL DISPLAY)
>>
>> Now what?  In UNIX, I would just type "setenv DISPLAY maui:0.0" and that
>> would be that.  But LINUX does not use setenv?  How do you set environment
>> variables in LINUX?  I tried adding "DISPLAY=maui:0.0" to my .bash_profile
>> with no success.  What am I missing?
>
>You need to be running an X server *before* you run the window
>manager.  Assuming you have X11 properly configured, create a file
>~/.xsession and put this in it:
>
>#!/bin/bash
>xterm &
>exec olvwm
>
>(quick and dirty, but that will do).  Then start X by typing 'startx'
>at the prompt.

Ah Ha!  So, the usual package dependancies that apt takes care of
is not applicable to X?  (startx is not found on my system, and I never
ran any configuration utility for X and I loaded the olvwm package with
apt-get.)

I take it that X must be loaded and configured separately from Debian?  I
am aware of XFree86 and that there is something called XF86Config.  Is this
what I need?  Any particular installation procedure I should follow?  Or
do I just hack my way through the FTP site?

>To answer your other question, the default Debian shell is bash, so to
>set an environment variable you need to say "export VARIABLE=value".
>setenv is a csh command.

Right.  My UNIX experience is all csh.  I tried this and now I see the
results I expect when I type 'printenv'.  Thanks.

-Jerry

Certus Consulting Group               | Specializing in Integrated Circuit
Antioch, CA 94509                     | Design and Verification, Logic
(925)757-0685                         | Synthesis, Fault Grading, and
<http://www.certus.com>               | Test Development