Re: First-time Linux setup - questions

At 11:47 PM 11/9/98 -0500, you wrote:
>On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Jerry E. McGoveran wrote:
>
>> At 10:29 PM 11/9/98 -0500, Immanuel Yap wrote:
>
>> Ah Ha!  So, the usual package dependancies that apt takes care of
>> is not applicable to X?  (startx is not found on my system, and I never
>> ran any configuration utility for X and I loaded the olvwm package with
>> apt-get.)
>>
>> I take it that X must be loaded and configured separately from Debian?  I
>> am aware of XFree86 and that there is something called XF86Config.  Is this
>> what I need?  Any particular installation procedure I should follow?  Or
>> do I just hack my way through the FTP site?
>
>make sure that /usr/X11R6/bin is in your path by using
>'setenv PATH ${PATH}:/usr/X11R6/bin' then run XF86Config, after this you
>can run startx to get the server going. startx is in /usr/X11R6/bin,
>that's why you need to add that to the path.

Tried that and here's what I got:

maui:/usr/X11R6/bin# export PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
maui:/usr/X11R6/bin# which XF86Setup
/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86Setup
maui:/usr/X11R6/bin# XF86Setup
Couldn't read card database file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Cards

Now what?

Certus Consulting Group               | Specializing in Integrated Circuit
Antioch, CA 94509                     | Design and Verification, Logic
(925)757-0685                         | Synthesis, Fault Grading, and
<http://www.certus.com>               | Test Development