Re: First-time Linux setup - questions

Jerry E. McGoveran wrote:

> At 10:29 PM 11/9/98 -0500, Immanuel Yap wrote:
> >On Sun Nov  8, 1998, Jerry E. McGoveran wrote:
> >> Someone pointed out correctly that I had to run ldconfig.  What I figured
> >> out for myself was that I had to add /usr/openwin/lib to the conf file
> >> first.
> >>
> >> However, now I have a new problem:
> >>
> >>      olvwm: cannot connect to (NULL DISPLAY)
> >>
> >> Now what?  In UNIX, I would just type "setenv DISPLAY maui:0.0" and that
> >> would be that.  But LINUX does not use setenv?  How do you set environment
> >> variables in LINUX?  I tried adding "DISPLAY=maui:0.0" to my .bash_profile
> >> with no success.  What am I missing?
> >
> >You need to be running an X server *before* you run the window
> >manager.  Assuming you have X11 properly configured, create a file
> >~/.xsession and put this in it:
> >
> >#!/bin/bash
> >xterm &
> >exec olvwm
> >
> >(quick and dirty, but that will do).  Then start X by typing 'startx'
> >at the prompt.
>
> Ah Ha!  So, the usual package dependancies that apt takes care of
> is not applicable to X?  (startx is not found on my system, and I never
> ran any configuration utility for X and I loaded the olvwm package with
> apt-get.)

	More likely:  There has been a major change in the way X11 is packaged
for Debian; this has introduced a few problems.  Go thru the x11 section
in dselect and familiarize yourself with the new packages.  The
'xserver-common' package has the startx command.

> I take it that X must be loaded and configured separately from Debian?  I
> am aware of XFree86 and that there is something called XF86Config.  Is this
> what I need?  Any particular installation procedure I should follow?  Or
> do I just hack my way through the FTP site?

	No,  don't try to install with the xfree86.org tarball.  Use the debian
packages instead.  In the long run you'll be better off by keeping as
much of your system as 'pure' debian (install only deb packages) as
possible.

--
Ed C.