gs & color inkjet printers - which one?

Hello,

If this is an inapproriate question for this mailing list, can someone please
tell me where I should ask? Please refer me to any up-to-date FAQs on the topic.

I am investigating the purchase of a color printer (in Australia), but am
unfamiliar with good ghostscript (Linux) compatibility (ie max resolution
supported, etc).

I think the best printer might the the Epson Stylus Color printer 440, as it
supports 720x720 DPI. The file /usr/doc/gs/devices.txt.gz, says that gs
supports the Epson Stylus Color printer at 720x720 DPI, but fails to mention a
model number of the printer. Also, it refers to "stcolor.ps" which seems to be
incompatable with Aladdin Ghostscript, as supplied with Debian, which suggests
to me that this file may be entirely out-of-date.

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  gs              4.03-1         Postscript interpreter with X11 and svgalib

Can somebody please tell me what the best color inkjet/bubblejet
printer is for at least 300x300 DPI, (720x720 DPI if affordable),
photo quality images, using ghostscript???

Shops I so far have spoken to don't know what "gs", "ghostview", "linux" are.
(somebody even suggested I ring Linux! Not a typo! They said I should use the
next model, the Epson 640 as it is DOS compatable!) I don't want to
purchase a printer and find out it doesn't work with acceptable quality output
or contains expensive features that may never be supported by gs.

I strongly suspect that all Epson printers use the ESC/P langauage, hence will
be compatable, but cannot confirm it.

Thanks in advance,

Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>