Re: Which printer do you recommend?

On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Michael Stone wrote:

> Quoting Peter Granroth (f95pegr@dd.chalmers.se):
> > > I have one Linux machine and five Win95 machines
> > > networked.  I want to attach a printer to my
> > > Linux machine and shared among them.  Can someone
> > > recommend a printer for this configuration?
> >
> > Depends on how much you want to spend, what performance you need and if you
> > need color. If you have modest performance needs and no need for
> > color, I can recommend HP Laserjet 6L or something such. I have on of
>
> I agree wholeheartedly; if you don't want color, you should definately
> get a laser. The consumables are a _lot_ less expensive, the printouts
> look better, and they come out faster. I've had a laserjet 4l for four
> years, and it's never given me any trouble. If you care to spend the
> money, a postscript printer is ideal for unix, but you can get by with
> ghostscript as long as you get a fairly mainstream printer.

I have a HP Laserjet 5L and have used it for about two and a half years
now.  For the last few months I experienced a lot of paper feed problems
and I once had to take it to an agent to clean the paper out sensor which
because of dirt did not function properly.

Johann

| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@alpha.futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg       |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is
      profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction,
      for instruction in righteousness;"
                                     II Timothy 3:16