Re: Debian install problem

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Gary S. MacKay wrote:

> Question:
> Is there any way I can either install via ftp or from my Win95
> shared
> directory?
If you've got an ftp server on your Win95 machine (and some way of
connecting to it like TCP/IP), you can start up dselect,  select "Access",
"Ftp",  and give it the information it asks for,  starting with the
location of your win95 machine.   Otherwise,  you can install via ftp from
one of the debian ftp sites (try ftp.debian.org :))

> Sony cdu31a drive?
Sure.  I have one in my other machine.  You'll need to recompile your
kernel (this isn't tough,  if you haven't done it.  Get the
linux-kernel howto and follow the directions,  or get the kernel source
and use the debian kernel-package package). Make sure you
enable the cdu31a driver (under CD-Rom drivers,  of course).  I had
trouble setting parameters in the compile-time options,  so I ended up
passing the IO base and a few other things to the kernel at run-time via
the options= lilo.conf setting.

                     					Will

|             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |