Re: Was the release of Debian 2.0 put on Linux Announce?

Hi,
>>"George" == George Bonser <grep@shorelink.com> writes:

 George> The problem with the current versioning system is that people
 George> look at Debian 2.0 and Red Hat 5.x and S.u.S.E 5.x and
 George> Slackware 3.x and figure Debian is seriously lagging when it
 George> is not.I have had people tell me that they are using Red Hat
 George> because it is at 5.2 while Debian is still only at 2.0. The
 George> perception is that Red Hat is better even though it is
 George> usually not as well tested. The current method might be
 George> better in a technical way but as far as public relations and
 George> such go, it really sucks.

	I think I am really grateful for not having people like that
 trying Debian; it only increases the support headaches later on. Any
 one who is, umm, challenged, enough to make any technical decision
 based on version numbering would probably find Debian is not the
 right distribution for them.

	manoj
--
 "It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try,
 but the result's the same." Mike Dennison