Re: disabling remote xdm logins

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Ossama Othman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to disable remote xdm logins from terminals and from some
> remote xdm login widgets.  I tried to modify the Xaccess file according to
> the docs and then restarting xdm but I still can't seem to get xdm to stop
> broadcasting to the rest of the machines on the same subnet that it is
> accepting xdm logins.
>
> Could someone please explain how I can configure my debian system to stop
> accepting xdm logins from remote machines?

Look at the file /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess, it is full of comments that
describe the file's function and format:

# The first form tells xdm which displays to respond to itself.
# The second form tells xdm to forward indirect queries from hosts matching
# the specified pattern to the indicated list of hosts.
# The third form tells xdm to handle indirect queries using the chooser;
# the chooser is directed to send its own queries out via the broadcast
# address and display the results on the terminal.
# The fourth form is similar to the third, except instead of using the
# broadcast address, it sends DirectQuerys to each of the hosts in the list

You are probably mostly interested in the first form.
On my machine, where I haven't changed it, the first form entry reads:

*                                       #any host can get a login window

If you change the "*" to "localhost" then I guess that would stop xdm from
responding to any display (xserver) but the one on your console.

Cheers,

Joost