Re: Why?!

I just set up a Linux partition for a friend of mine who is a dedicated WinBlows user,
as he's been tinkering around with image editing stuff, and hasn't liked the software
selection he's found for WinBlows.  I mentioned the GIMP, and showed him what it
looked like and some of the elementary stuff it could do (I only know how to do the
elementary stuff *sigh*) on my machine. He was mighty impressed, and also really liked
the way Window Maker looked.  So he now has the GIMP & Window Maker on his machine.
Granted, being a complete novice to Linux/Unix, I wrote down about a dozen or so of
invaluable commands, introduced him to the /usr/doc directory and manpages, and made
sure he could type startx.

So far he's really liking it, with only one big exception.  He has a parallel port
scanner, so he's pretty much SOL with SANE.  But anyway, he seems to be liking it a
lot, and says he's been slowly reading through some HOWTO's, etc.

I don't think it's so much that Linux isn't ready for Joe User, I think most Joe Users
aren't ready for Linux.

Sean