Re: Why?!

Christian Lavoie wrote:

> >       Yes, as a server, Linux is successfully competing against
> > WinNT and others.  I personally don't believe Linux is ready for
> > Joe Blow the average Win user, however.
>
> Depends on your definition of a Joe Blow user.

	The definition of Joe Blow user I'm using is a person who doesn't care
about the software on his system.  He only cares about getting his work
done and doesn't care about the software he uses to do this.  This
person, more than likely, thinks MS stuff is best because 'their the
only game in town' and 'you can't go wrong with M$'.  He doesn't know
about Linux or other OSs besides Win, because, since he got Win with the
machine, he thinks Win *is* the only OS that runs on his machine.  This
person will flee screaming from a CLI.

> [big snip]
>
> Well. I've been using slink for a few weeks now (since the freeze to
> be exact) and I don't think it's THAT an hassle to keep up with the
> newest updates. I just wake up, type 'apt-get updade; apt-get
> upgrade' (with a parameter I have, ONCE AGAIN forgotten) and that's
> it. A few questions here and there, and that's it. No reboot, no
> cheap .bat file, no registry corruption. Sorry pal, but it's easier
> keeping up with the latest Linux devel, than having everything at a
> similar level under Win95. (Although Microsoft seems to have finally
> undertood with it's www.windowsupdate.com site)

	Were you you using slink at the time of the infamous 'locales'
problem?  I can vaguely remember 2 other problems that plagued slink
recently.  This mailing list made fixing the problem relatively easy (I
got the solution to the problems from this list), but I was still forced
to spend a significant amount of time fixing these problems.
	I think its very reasonable to skip 'unstable' all together, and only
update against the latest 'frozen' or 'stable'.  On the other hand, one
of the last problems occurred after slink went frozen.  All I'm saying
is updating against 'unstable' will likely cause many people grief and
frustration.
	I agree with the part about Win.  My father has complained about trying
to get upgrades and patches from microsoft.com to work (and not
introduce new problems).

--
Ed C.